Authenticity in Communicating with Machines
International Communication Association, 2023, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2023 (Full Day; 8:30 am — 5:00 pm)
Venue: Sheraton Centre Hotel, Civic Ballroom North and Civic Ballroom South
The 7th annual pre-conference on Human-Machine Communication (HMC) aims to facilitate discussions about theories, methodologies, findings, opportunities, and challenges related to “authenticity” in HMC. We focus on two primary areas: “authenticity in communication between humans and machines” and “authenticity in HMC research.”
Continuing on the path of the previous HMC pre-conferences, we have two major goals for this event. First, we aim to create a space for new perspectives, provocative ideas, in-depth discussions, and critical thinking. Second, we aim to create dynamic networking opportunities that can cultivate a strong mentorship community and that can help find potential collaborators. We focus on connecting ICA scholars with various methodological expertises (e.g., ethnography, network analysis, heterogeneous engineering, agent experimentation), interest group affiliations, global locations, and communication worldviews to explore fertile ground and collaborations, enabling us to move forward in a robust, inclusive, and broadly informed HMC research area.
You find the Call for Papers here.
- Jihyun Kim, University of Central Florida, USA
- Katrin Etzrodt, TU Dresden, Germany
- Margot van der Goot, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Chad Edwards, Western Michigan University, USA
- Seungahn Nah, University of Florida, USA
The registration fee covers lunch, 2 coffee breaks, and the cost of an A/V equipment.
- $90 (USD) for faculty/non-student status
- $60 (USD) for students;
- $60 (USD) for scholars based in Tier B & C countries (see list of countries here).
Register now at https://www.icahdq.org/mpage/ICA23-HumanMachine
- University of Florida Consortium on Trust in Media and Technology (https://trust.jou.ufl.edu/)
- Communication and Social Robotics Labs (https://www.combotlabs.org/)
- Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information at Nanyang Technological University (https://www.ntu.edu.sg/wkwsci)
- Department of Communication at University of Illinois Chicago (https://comm.uic.edu/)
- Department of Communication at University of Connecticut (https://comm.uconn.edu/)
- Underwood Institute (https://www.underwood-institute.org/)
- Kendall Hunt Publishing (https://www.kendallhunt.com/)
Primarily, sponsorships are being used to support student registration fees. If your organization would like to contribute funds and be recognized for promotional materials at the event, please contact Jihyun Kim ([email protected]). We will facilitate the process with support from ICA.